Practice Management Services
Just for a bit of fun
A presentation at Legalwise Seminars, April 2012
For the benefit of all practitioners it is timely to be reminded of some of the principles which guide prudent solicitors using time billing.
- The distinction between time costing (a tool of law office management) and time billing should not be forgotten.
- Accurate and prompt recording of time, during or soon after attendance, will be vital at the time of bill preparation.
- The client’s needs and requirements, especially demands for excessive service, should be promptly recorded at the time of taking instructions and referred to at the time of billing.
- The client should be promptly informed of any additional work required and the need for it.
- The various administrative and incidental expenses (including travel and photocopying) should be carefully reviewed prior to billing.
- Sensible and realistic time billing, in accordance with the principle of fair and reasonable costs, will prevent many disputes arising.
- The bill of costs is one of the most important documents received by the client and requires careful preparation.
- There should be a careful balance between brevity and sufficient information in the bill of costs to enable the client to understand and appreciate the fees charged.
- Finally, apart from time billing, the availability of alternative fee charging methods should be discussed with responsive clients when appropriate.
As we emerge from the challenging conditions of recent times, growth is clearly on the agenda for legal practices. But growth for growth’s sake is not always a positive thing, and increasing revenue quickly can lead to cashflow pressures.
How do you go about setting the right growth strategy for your firm? And what are the potential pitfalls to watch out for?
Along with practical practice management advice, I specialise in placing legal professionals in a range of advisory, transactional and litigation practice areas. I work across the spectrum of career levels, however key areas are in senior placements, executive search and succession planning.
I work with numerous regional, national and international law firms and companies, providing comprehensive attorney searches and recruitment to deliver effective resourcing solutions for my clients.
Key specialty areas include:
- Business and Commercial
- Corporate and Securities
- Intellectual Property – Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys
- Labour, Employment and Employee Benefits
- Environmental and Land Use
- Financial Services
- Complex Litigation
- Family Law
- Private Clients
- Tax Advice and Tax Litigation
- Wills, Trusts and Estates
- Estate Litigation
Please call me to discuss your needs. My passion is working out a solution to a client’s needs.
I work with talented people.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-24054366-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);